I've had to gut my kitchen-- anything with a porous surface (think cutting boards, tupperware, and non-stick pans) had to go, not to mention any and all foods that contained gluten. I've had to research all of my medicines and vitamins to ensure that they not only don't contain gluten themselves, but also aren't made on equipment that makes OTHER medicines that use wheat as a filler.
It's been a bit exhausting, honestly. One area that made me extra sad was having to look through our homestead pantry and decide what to keep or throw away. We've built up a bit of a stockpile over the years in case of emergency, but it has a lot of pastas, flour, and whole wheat included in it. James and I talked it over, and decided that we would keep the containers of pasta, and if the need arose, could designate one pot for cooking just gluten foods. However, I had a five gallon bucket full of hard white wheat that can't be used, and needed to find a new home.
Thank Pinterest, I found some methods of sprouting your own grains to feed to chickens! It's super easy, and as long as I wash my hands super thoroughly after any contact, so far it's been fine and has not 'glutened' me!! It seems a little strange that I'm intentionally growing wheat, since it has such devastating affects on my body, but by sprouting it, it gives the chickens a lot more nutritive bang for the buck instead of just throwing them the wheat.
It's pretty damn easy, to be honest, and the chickens have gone MAD over this stuff.
First, you start with soaking the wheat overnight. This bucket dates back to 2016, so my first time trying this I was a little doubtful if it would even work. Here I've got my little station set up-- wheat soaking in a bowl, and a few trays ready to spread the seeds out onto.
I spread them about 1/3" thick in my little pans, and sat back to see if they'd do anything.
The next day, I could see some teeeeeeeny little sprouts on the end of the seeds!!! Just a little whitish nub sticking out from the end. But they sprouted!!
The following day, the little nubs had grown a bit longer, and you could start identifying some tiny little root hairs.
On day three we started to see some nice green color popping up, and you could see a definite difference between the green top growth and the roots stretching downwards.
Days 4-8 were exciting to watch as the wheat started to look like a lush carpet.
It was funny to watch the whole mat sort of rise up out of the tray, as the roots grew and pushed it upwards. Here's a peek at the side when I folded back the flexible tray. (I used an old paint tray liner for this first batch!)
And here is my little mini-lawn on day 8, right before we threw it to the hungry hungry chickens. Not too bad for a 2 year old wheat kernels and a little water and sunlight! Just a little chunk of turf!